A view of Bay Street in downtown Beaufort on a very quiet, weekday afternoon just before Christmas. The building is the John Mark Verdier House, built in 1790, which now houses a museum. Legend has it that the Marquis de Lafayette slept there in 1825. It was also the Union headquarters during the occupation of the town. From late spring until fall, these streets will be thick with visitors.